Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you ship to my state?
We can NOT ship to: AL, DE, IL, IA, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MS, MT, ND, NH, NY, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT.
- Can you ship me a bottle of bourbon?
No, we only ship wine. We are unable to ship beer or spirits.
- Which carriers do you use?
We exclusively use UPS.
- Can I have wine shipped to a FedEx location for pickup?
No, FedEx locations do not accept UPS shipments for customer pickup.
- Do you ship internationally?
No, we only ship within the United States.
- I won't be home during the day, can the shipment be left at my door?
No, UPS requires a signature from an adult at least 21 years old at the time of delivery. Your package will not be left without an adult signature.
- If it's too hot (or too cold) to ship when I place my order, will you hold the wines until temperatures are safe?
Yes, we are happy to hold shipments for the next safe shipping opportunity in order to make sure your wines arrive in the best possible condition.
- Why am I being asked to sign a damage waiver for my shipment?
If you require immediate shipment when temperatures are too high or too low, we will require you to sign a waiver accepting all responsibility for any damage incurred during shipment.
- Do you deliver locally?
Yes, we offer local delivery in Washington, DC.
- Can you deliver to me in Virginia or Maryland?
No, local delivery is only available in the District of Columbia. We are unable to deliver or ship to Virginia or Maryland.
- Is there a fee for delivery?
There is a $10 local delivery fee for orders under $100. Local delivery is free for orders over $100.
- What does FUTURE or PRE-ARRIVAL mean on an item listing?
Futures are wines offered for sale before they are released by the winery. Bordeaux wines are typically sold as futures - offered for sale in May or June following the harvest, and shipped approximately two years later. Purchasing futures allows customers to secure wines which may be in limited supply and which may be significantly more expensive upon release.
Pre-arrivals are items which we have purchased, but which are not yet in stock. ETAs may vary widely for pre-arrival items, depending on the item and the supplier.
- Is your store just a website, or do you have a physical location?
Our storefront has been operating since 1962 at 4877 MacArthur Boulevard NW in Washington, DC's Palisades neighborhood.
- What are your hours of operation?
Our store is open from 10 am to 7 pm, Monday through Saturday. We are closed on Sunday.
- Why do you require 48 hours lead time to prepare my order for pickup or delivery?
Although we have several thousand cases in stock here at the store, we also have a warehouse in NE DC. Most orders are ready to go in under 24 hours, but transferring stock from our warehouse may take a day or two.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover cards, as well as Apple Pay and Google Pay.
- Why won't you accept my credit card?
We reserve the right to require payment by bank transfer for orders meeting certain conditions.